Elmo

My cat.

My cat Elmo is not a cat.

He is a dog.

He follows me around the house like a puppy. Sometimes I almost step on him because he follows so close behind me and runs out in front of me.

He comes when I call him.

He can speak English. I swear.

I've had him since 6th grade. One time, he ran away for 3 months because he was an outdoor cat and came and went as he pleased. But one day he just never came back. Until one day we were driving to school in the morning for a talent show practice and I saw him sitting in the grass in someone's yard. So after school we went back to that house (it wasn't far from mine) and found him. The people who lived there (another farm) had been taking care of him and had named him S'mores. Which was odd. Because he doesn't really have any dark brown (chocolate) on him. Just graham cracker and marshmallow. So they gave us a ride back home (we'd biked) and we kept him inside from then on.

He was really skinny when we first brought him back in, covered in burrs. I thought we'd have to shave his whole tail naked just to get them all out. Luckily, they eventually all just came out on their own, and he ate his weight in cat food and became the tubby kitty I know and love today.

One time, I was sitting in the living room when I heard a rustling noise. I heard it a few times before I got up to investigate. It was coming from the basement.

Slunk.

Slunk.

I looked down the stairs and saw a gray plastic grocery bag making its way slowly down the stairs. Elmo had gotten stuck in a bag and was trying to go down the stairs. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

(Obviously I helped him out of the bag. I just had to stand and watch for a few seconds.)

Comments

  1. that's a fantastic portrait. You should draw me next, I'll use it for headshots ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We. Want. Attention.

Job hunting is a funny thing.