Progress

I worked for roughly 13 hours today. My hands burn and my body aches in many different places. If I see another speck of glitter I might scream.

After leaving the golf course for the second time today, I decided to treat myself to an ice cream cone from McD's. As I was driving down East Shore Drive, I took a gander at some of the nice little apartments along the shore, thinking that maybe I would look into them for the fall. It excites me, the thought of living somewhere new.

As I ate my ice cream, driving home down East Shore, I looked to my left and saw the sun setting over the bay. I thought of driving past, but my urge to sit and watch the red sky reflect over the water was greater, so I pulled in and parked.

I sat, listening to my iPod for a few minutes, and felt the impulse to put the car in reverse and head back home, I had better go back. But I told myself to calm down, to enjoy it. So I turned on some Ingrid Michaelson and turned up the heater. I looked to my right and saw two cars, each with two couples sitting in the front seats. Ahead of me to my left was a woman at a picnic table, talking on her cell phone. To my right was a man standing at the front of his car also on his cell phone. For a minute, I felt very alone. I was the only one at the park who did not have a companion with whom to share this beautiful sunset. I missed you, then. On the bay there was a flock of pelicans, quietly coasting along. I noticed that one of them was swimming away from the group, toward a smaller group a few yards away. This loner pelican and another began swimming toward each other. For a moment I pretended that this pelican was me, and the other pelican was someone I know, or have yet to meet, or perhaps they were the other way around, that I was the other pelican and the someone else was the loner pelican. When the loner started swimming back to his original flock, I realized that these pelicans were not some extended metaphor - they're just birds. They don't mean anything. Some things just are. Sometimes you have to stop analyzing everything and appreciate things for their face value, and not for what you think they might mean. I may have been alone, but sometimes you need to have beautiful moments, like sunsets, by yourself. You learn to appreciate the little things in life.
Thinking of you.

Peace.

Molly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We. Want. Attention.

Job hunting is a funny thing.