Blog Vomit.

I'm trying to write a song.

I'd like to write many songs.

And someday I'd like to put them all together and make a little CD out of them.

But I get distracted and then I end up watching the season finales of American Idol and Modern Family and the first episode of America's Next Top Model and then I wind up with a blank Word document and another notch on the slacker bedpost.

That wasn't even a cliche. That was poor usage of a cliche. I'm definitely not using that in a song.

Or maybe I should.

"You're just another notch on the bedpost of life
Because you're slacking off.
That means you're lazy.
And you're probably pretty ugly too.
But that's just a rude assumption.
I take it back.
Yeah you're just a notch on the bedpost of life."

There. Done. #1 record, here I come.

I think if I were to actually write an entire album, it would turn out a lot like something Kimya Dawson would write. If you don't know who Kimya Dawson is, you've probably heard her music in the movie JUNO. She wrote most of it.

She has this children's album called "Alphabutt" and it's all a bunch of silly kid's songs that I am probably most definitely going to play for my own children when the time comes. Screw the alphabet song, I am going to teach my kids that "A is for apple, B is for butt. C is for cat butt, D is for Doo-Doo" and so on and so forth.

That's just the kind of songwriter I probably am, deep down inside.

Wonderful.

I got this book from Barnes & Noble called "1000 Songwriting Ideas." So far, it's sparking ideas, but I haven't really sat down and tried any. I tried to tonight, but as I mentioned, television got the best of my attention span.

When I sit down to write, I don't know whether I should focus on the good parts of my life experiences, or the bad ones. I know that bad ones would probably make for a better song (it would turn out much less kindergarten-y), but I don't want to depress people. We'll see what pops out, I guess.

A word on the results of American Idol.

The finalists were very young. The American Idol viewer demographic? Very young people. Of course Scotty won. A majority of the viewers are Taylor Swift enthusiasts with a Justin Bieber fetish.

A word on Lady Gaga's new album "Born This Way".

At first listen, I was really weirded out. I wasn't expecting so much of a metal sound as was provided in the music, but I suppose after "Judas" was released as a single, I should have been a little more prepared for it. And I LOVE "Judas," so perhaps the rest of the album will grow on me. I was really shocked by some of the songs, like "Government Hooker", which seemed to be written purely for shock value, but after listening to it again with no regard to the lyrics, I actually really enjoy the song. Actually, that's pretty applicable for most of the songs on the album. The lyrics are just so weird, and out there, and probably only hold meaning to the Mother Monster herself. And yet, we buy her music. Well played, Gaga. Well played.

A word on the movie "Bridesmaids".

It takes place in Milwaukee. Fun.

It is hilarious. Kristen Wiig is a comic genius. And pair her with Maya Rudolph and you get comic gold.

It took me a while, but today I was thinking about some of the characters and some of the themes and I figured this out:

Kristen Wiig's character (Annie) has a conversation with the bride (Maya Rudolph)'s new best friend Helen about how people change, but they don't really change because they're always who they are, but people are always changing, because you grow, but you don't really change but you do change but you don't. Makes perfect sense, right? Well, Helen argued that people DO change, and Annie said that people don't. Toward the end of the movie, Helen comes crawling to Annie after the bride goes missing and apologizes for all her wrongdoings and it seems she's really turned over a new life. And in a way, she has. She's changed. BUT, then Kristen Wiig calls Helen ugly when she cries, and Helen immediately defends herself by saying, "I'm not really ugly. No, I look fine. It's just my makeup." Still the same person. Did not really change.

I don't know. It doesn't really make sense written down, but in my head, it makes sense. I enjoyed that they actually put some sort of meaning into the movie, rather than just a string of (hilarious) improvised dialogue and jokes.

I got cast in a new theatre company's production of "Angels in America" as Harper, a valium-addicted Mormon with a closeted gay husband. I'm excited. To say the least.

That's about all I have for now. Hope you're all having a pleasant summer so far.

Byeee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We. Want. Attention.

Job hunting is a funny thing.